Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 42

Thread: Embarrased to Say...

  1. #21
    HB Forum Owner JaceSan's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 17th, 1999
    Posts
    1,898
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I think older novels are harder to read because of the writing style. Stokers Dracula comes to mind.

    I like Rices Vampire Chronicles. Lestat is a great character. Queen of the Damned bored the hell out of me though. The two after were better. The Tale of the Body Thief. Especially liked Memnoc the Devil.

  2. #22
    Inactive Member Neophobic Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 3rd, 2002
    Posts
    2,107
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I have to agree about most things pre-WWII...different times, different styles...they just don't do it for me though...though there are exceptions...I love The Great Gatsby and plenty of other Fitzgerald works...Hills Like White Elephants, man, I'd forgotten about that short story, but it's a good one...'lara, in your disdain for American novelists (not sure I agree or disagree), you seem to be mentioning a lot of the writers from the '20's...jones is right, what about after WWII? Into today? Interesting...I always love how a thread about one of us (me in this case) whining about something can turn into such an excellent debate...

  3. #23
    HB Forum Owner erisesoteric's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 20th, 2000
    Posts
    3,452
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Originally posted by Jaxom_27:
    I always love how a thread about one of us (me in this case) whining about something can turn into such an excellent debate...
    <font size="2" face="Comic sans ms, Helvetica, sans-serif">That's just a corrolary to our natural communal urge to make fun of you, Jax...

  4. #24
    Inactive Member Neophobic Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 3rd, 2002
    Posts
    2,107
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    ...or something... [img]tongue.gif[/img]

    Someone pull this thing back on topic! Stat!

  5. #25
    HB Forum Owner erisesoteric's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 20th, 2000
    Posts
    3,452
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hmm...

    Oprah's book club.... occaisional good source, or a load of horse hockey?

  6. #26
    Inactive Member Neophobic Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 3rd, 2002
    Posts
    2,107
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    It's a good idea. Just not too good on the selections...I thought it was kinda interesting that when she brought it back she went for the Steinbeck...Enlara must be furious...heh...

    Maybe we need to get bran or jones to send her advanced copies of their work so they can get the push Oprah's Club tends to give books...

  7. #27
    Inactive Member Enlanra's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 8th, 2000
    Posts
    77
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I'm not a witch, I'm a sorceress. Wiley's a witch.

    I did hate Moby Dick though. Actually, all American novelists irritate me.

  8. #28
    Inactive Member jones's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 18th, 1999
    Posts
    206
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I'm surprised to see anyone dismiss American writers so quickly. No offense meant -- no one should have to apologize for their tastes, but do you really mean that Kate Chopin, J.D. Salinger, Philip Roth, Edith Wharton, Jack Kerouac, Margaret Mitchell, Thomas Wolfe, James Jones (no relation [img]wink.gif[/img] ), Jean Toomer, and Oakley Hall all annoy you?

    Except for Russia, America has taken the form to a fuller and more creative expression than any other. I'm not saying other cultures don't produce great novels, but the U.S. has a longer, broader history with it that includes equal attention to tradition and experimentation. Aside from the novels of tsarist Russia (Dostoevsky, Tolstoy, Turgenev), there's no national body of work that's made such lasting contributions to the form. To each her own, of course, but are you sure you've looked at enough American writing to adequately judge?

    Oh! I totally found the exception! There's always Branflakes! She's an American novelist, and a pretty good one! No way she could annoy anybody. (though I'll admit I'm biased 'cos she said I was cute -- now if I could only find a way around that lesbian thing -- but if she wouldn't even convert for Bruce Lee, what's a jones() to do?)

    And not to divert the thread, but Bran, have you finished your novel? She Thinks She Remembers, right? When do we get another peek?

    take care

    ---jones()

  9. #29
    Inactive Member Jadian's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 27th, 2000
    Posts
    710
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    As a person who's read about half her list BEFORE any of them were on her list, I would just like to say that I make a point of not buying any book that has that nasty orange O sticker on it.

  10. #30
    Inactive Member Ski's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 22nd, 1999
    Posts
    2,378
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Wink

    you don't like orange O's Jadian? [img]wink.gif[/img]

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •